Services > Public Works

Public Works

The Public Works Department consists of Planning, Design, Construction and Maintenance pertaining to:

  • All public roads and bridges
  • Signage and traffic marking
  • System for treating and distributing potable water
  • System for collecting of sanitary sewage
  • Garbage collection and recycling

The District of Coldstream requires that the Public Works Department delivers a high quality of service at the most reasonable cost, while providing a safe working environment. A key objective of the Public Works Department is the health and safety of all who reside and visit here, while ensuring fiscal prudence and adherence to all environmental and governmental legislation.

Sanitary Sewer Financing
Recognizing that connecting to the municipal sewer system can be costly, and yet wanting to encourage residents to connect, Council has passed a Sewer Financing Bylaw. This will allow you to connect to the sewer at this time, and pay the total costs of the connection over a period of 5, 10 or 15 years.
Download more information and Sewer Financing Application - 205Kb PDF

Contact Information:

Operational Services
Phone: (250) 550-1505
Fax: (250) 545-4733

See Also:

Garbage Collection

Frequently Asked Questions:

Does the District have garbage collection and a recycling program?
The District does not have a mandatory garbage collection program. It is left to each home owner to choose from and contact one of several contractors currently operating in Coldstream to obtain curbside collection. Check your Yellow Pages directory under "Garbage Collection".

Alternatively, you may wish to take your waste to the Greater Vernon Regional Landfill at 120 Birnie Road, 4 km south of Vernon on Highway 97. Phone 542-4949. Open Monday to Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. (Closed Sundays, Christmas Day and New Years Day). View Location Map | Download Fee Schedule (PDF).

There is a regional curbside collection system in place for recycling. Blue bags are picked up every two weeks. Please visit the Regional District Blue Bag Program for details of pick-up times and dates in your area.

Who is responsible for trees that are not in my own yard?
If the tree in question is located within the District's Road Right of Way, Public Works will inspect the tree to determine if the tree or any portion of the tree is a safety or liability concern. The tree will be trimmed or removed accordingly. The District does not plant trees in Road Right of Ways and does not approve of trees being planted by residents. The District does not however cut down or trim trees to enhance views. The District policy is to remove trees on right of ways if they are deemed dangerous, are a liability, or if they are determined to be a detriment to routine public works operations. If none of the above apply, and view is a concern, residents are encouraged to meet with their neighbours to address such concerns.

Where can I put up my Garage Sale sign? Can I temporarily attach it to street signs or power poles?
No signage of any kind is allowed on any street signs, power poles or street lights. Signs placed on the street become a liability to motorists. BC Hydro does not allow any signage on their power poles. Any signage will be removed and discarded. The District does not condone but will allow free-standing signage during the day of the garage sale event, but all signage must be removed that same day, immediately after the event.

Why can't I park or leave my car on the road during the winter months?
Leaving a vehicle on the road during snow removal operations makes it very difficult for the operators to do a proper job and may create a liability hazard. Removing vehicles from the road allows the operators to more efficiently, effectively and safely perform their snow-clearing tasks. This saves a considerable amount of time, which in turn saves wear and tear on the equipment and allows the road to be cleared in a timely manner.

Why does District Public Works staff leave snow in my driveway?
Due to the nature of our equipment and the long standing operational procedures and equipment used, the District does not remove snow from your driveway. The cost of retrofitting equipment has been deemed too great by successive Councils. Time needed to clean driveways as well as the roads would double, as well, there would be a need to increase staff and equipment.

Who determines where and who gets snow removal first? I have a home-based business and need my street done first.
Council approved a snow clearing policy a number of years ago. During the winter months the Public Works Department has one operator who begins his shift at 4:00am. His sole purpose is road maintenance. He also determines if additional staff are required. During a snowfall, Public Works staff will begin snowclearing at 5:30am. Public Works will clear all the main arteries first, roads around schools and roads with steep grades on hillside development. Teams of two pieces of equipment will then fan out into the subdivisions, clearing all residential side streets. The teams will snow clear and sand/salt in one pass. The District does not clear snow on private property and generally does not remove snow from the streets unless extreme hazards may result.

What is the speed limit in the District on my street? Who determines the speed?
The speed limit within the District of Coldstream is 50km/hr or otherwise posted. The Director of Operational Services, upon review, sets all speed limits within the District.

Who maintains the boulevard and cleans snow from the sidewalk in front of my house?
The District policy is to maintain ditches only on the roadside where there are no residences. The boulevard or ditch adjacent to the property is the responsibility of the owner to maintain. This also pertains to sidewalk snow removal.

I want my street swept first. Who sets the schedule?
Operational decisions as to which streets are swept in the spring depends on a number of factors. Roads which are suitable for sweeping (i.e., clear of snow, dry, etc.) will determine in which area the sweeping program will commence. Once it is practical to sweep, the areas to be swept first are the main roads, school zones and bus routes. All other roads with grades exceeding 4% will take precedence over residential roads with less grade.